Thursday, November 10, 2011

I love old people. I do not know why.

Admittedly, right now I should be writing a 6 page research paper on a Shakespeare sonnet. Which isn't to bad, I like Shakespeare. I love writing. But I at the current moment, I'd rather write about old people instead (Sorry William)

You know the little girl Lilo, on Lilo and Stitch? And how she takes pictures of fat people? Yeah, that's me. Except with old people. Most everyone looks at babies and just gets giddy about how cute they are, now don't get me wrong, I think babies are adorable, but I look at old people that way. I rate them. Walking down the street and I see a cute couple, I smile and then rate them accordingly on a 1-10 scale. 10 being the cutest. Asians tend to rate pretty high. I got asked "Why do you love old people so much." I didn't know how to answer. Because I don't really know why I do. I just do. So I started thinking about it.

Possible reasons behind why I love old people:

1. They know who they are and they just embrace it. They can do whatever they want, and get away with it. Why can they get away with it you ask? Well I think it's because they have lived enough life to know that they don't have to impress anyone, they can just do what they want.We could all learn a lesson from these sweet old souls, JUST BE YOU. We don't have to wait our whole lives to realize this.  Be honest, true, be good and be yourself. The only person you have to impress or is yourself! Marvelous isn't? :)

B. Most of the time, they are the sweetest little things. They just want to bake us cookies, give us hugs and compliments, and make us feel good. They are genuine about their compliments too! Because they are old, who do they have to suck up to? Who are they trying to impress? No one! They are just complimenting you just to compliment you-because it's true, because they mean it! They give you advice for the sole purpose and intent of helping you! Because they care and what to help you out from what they have learned in their many years of living.

3. Could be the fact that I am secretly (well, not so secret anymore after I post this publicly) a hopeless romantic and believe in the happily ever after love story. I want to believe that the perfect love story isn't about Romeo and Juliet (Applying the Shakespeare I am suppose to be studying right now) who die together, but about grandma and grandpa who grow old together. I've never seen that with anyone I'm close with in my life. Growing up I really did think that it was a fairy tale for two people to stay together forever. So when I see a cute old couple holding hands or  helping each other in store, it's like watching a fairy tale. Like I just saw a princess and her knight or superhero flying. They make me believe in something that I didn't think existed.

I've been told I have an old soul. If that means I am anything like an old person, that is such a compliment! I get giddy about it! Because sometimes I look around and think 'Youth really is wasted on the young'. Lets not wait tell we are old to look back to learn lessons. Learn them now, apply them now. Lets learn as we go. Lets not wait until we are old to not care what others think. Lets be us now. Lets believe in love stories lasting. Just because maybe our parents didn't--maybe ours can. Lets not wait to give sincere compliments. Give them now. Without trying to suck up or benefit from doing so. Live with a young heart, but an old soul.


Until next time,
When I grow old I can't wait to show off my wrinkles-show everyone how happy I was and what I made it through.
love always,
alex.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex,

    Thanks for sharing your story. I can totally relate to you. I've always had a special place in my heart for old people. Seeing them gives me hope. I too have been told that I have an old soul, but that makes me proud. I'm only 33 years old, but when I got my first grey hair awhile ago, I got excited instead of sad. When I see old people, I see wisdom & God's grace. As a younger generation, we can learn so much from the old if we only would take the time to listen. Again, thanks for sharing & continue to embrace our older generation. :-)

    ReplyDelete